Questions from Sherry Walling's Entrepreneur's Guide to Keeping Your Shit Together. For guided reflection when figuring out next steps. Modified to be not just business-centric but a bit more generic.
- What gave me life last year?
- What sucked the life out of me?
- What things drove growth for me last year?
- In what situations was I most irritable, impatient, or angry?
- When did I make an unwise decision or lose my cool? What contributed to those experiences?
- What do I regret? What am I embarrassed of?
- What am I most proud of when I reflect the past year?
Am I where I want to be?
- What value (freedom, ingenuity, adventure, meaning, etc) do I feel most drawn to at this time in my life? What can I do to pursue that value?
- What value am I not getting enough of? How can I change that?
- What sets me apart from my peers?
- Who do I most admire? What about them do I admire?
- Am I using my time wisely?
- What activities are most important to me?
- What am I unwilling to live without?
- How is my life different than I thought it would be at this phase of my life?
Establishing Goals for the Future
- In a perfect world, what would I want to add to my work/life to make it better?
- If I had unlimited resources, what would I do next?
- How can I grow in the next year?
- How can I shrink in the next year?
- How can the positive events or experiences of the past year be a greater part of my life in the year ahead?
- How can I spend more time and energy doing the most important, most meaningful activities?
- How can I maximize my strengths in the coming year?
- What are the most important investments I need to make over the next year?
Futuresetting (business specific)
- In a perfect world, what new products or features would I add to my business or product to make it better?
- Where do I see my business one year from today revenue wise? size wise? staff size?
Tags: thought exercises