4 elements of successful game design
- Frequent Feedback Loops
- Variable Outcomes
- Sense of Control
- Connection to a Meta-Game
Elements of an addicting design
- First by designing a token economy- A token economy is any system where you are awarded meaningless but visible tokens.
- The tokens need to be scored in some kind of way. This way collectors of the tokens can compete in one or more leader boards or rankings.
- Rarity. rarity creates desirability.
- Display cases. players must be able to see and display what they've accomplished
- Personalization. You can make play more addicting by letting people create reflections of their personal taste.
- Work. Players can't get the tokens for free, there needs to earn them. Farming can be a way for players to earn tokens.
Token economies for different player types
- Explorers: track visited areas, missions completed, other exploration actions.
- PVPers: multiple arenas, track counts and types of kills.
- Socializers: friends, likes.
- Builders: what they've built, how popular they are, etc.
Source: Borderland Gun Collector's Club
Stub: Game Design != Gamification
Gamification is the art of trying to manipulate people using behavioral psychology. Game design is about engineering delight and fun.